Posted by dsharron on January 5, 2010
Happy New Year from the Historical Society of St. Catharines. We hope to see you out at many of our meetings this year.
Meetings in the Winter 2009 – 7:30 p.m. – all held at the St. Catharines Museum at Lock 3, 1932 Welland Canal Parkway, St. Catharines, Ontario. Free admission. Doors open at 7:00. Guests are welcome.
January 28 – ” Cholera Reaches Niagara 1832″ by Elizabeth Finnie – Society Secretary. With all of the pandemic talk these past few months, this is a timely look at a serious outbreak in Niagara over 170 years ago.
February 25 – “Charting the Great Swivel Link – Maps of the First Welland Canal” by Alun Hughes – Society Member. What better way to explore the history of the early Welland Canal than through a look over the maps of this important system by Brock University’s resident cartography expert and local historian.
March 25 – “History of St. John’s Anglican Church in Port Dalhousie” by Brian Leyton – Society Member – Come out and learn about the heritage of this well established church, its congregation and its connection to the community in this “fire-side” style presentation.
For further information on Society gatherings, click on “Special Events”. Check back often for future presentations.
* Note: the St. Catharines Museum will generously open its traveling exhibit gallery for viewing a half hour before each meeting at no cost to the Society.
Posted in Churches, Historical Society, Meetings, Port Dalhousie, St. Catharines, Welland Canal | Leave a Comment »
Posted by dsharron on August 31, 2009
Thursday, September 10 at 6:30 p.m. – Come out for a 70 minute tour of the St. John’s Cemetery in Port Dalhousie (at the corner of Main Street and Cole Farm Boulevard). Presented in conjunction with the St. John’s Cemetery Board. Please wear appropriate footwear. Rain date will be Tuesday, September 15.
Posted in Churches, Historical Society, Port Dalhousie, Special Events | Tagged: Cemeteries, Churches, Congregations, Port Dalhousie, Tours | Leave a Comment »
Posted by dsharron on April 28, 2009
This month, the St. Catharines Museum made a collection of glass plate negatives available for viewing to the Society.
These images come from the Bertha Shickluna Collection. The box of negatives were found in a basement when the Shickluna’s were cleaning up. The box and photos were not in very good shape. They were offered to the Museum with the message, “if you do not want it, throw it out.” Fortunately, the Museum immediately recognized the importance of the images and decided to keep the collection. The photos were sent to the Canadian Conservation Institute in Ottawa. The CCI stabilized the images, cleaned the glass and made working prints of the photos.
The bulk of the collection features the Port Dalhousie area around the turn of the 20th century. The collection shows buildings, people and a lifestyle that truly takes you back in time. This has become one of the more important photo collections at the St. Catharines Museum.
Sample image: A sloop and grain elevator in Port Dalhousie, Ontario. Bertha Shickluna Collection, 1982.223.74, neg. N4848.
Posted in Meetings, Port Dalhousie, Ships, St. Catharines, Welland Canal | Tagged: Port Dalhousie, Shipping, Ships, St. Catharines, Welland Canal | 2 Comments »